I was never really fond of Courier. It is a capable but cumbersome system.
Since “everybody” was talking about Dovecot and it was made the default IMAP server for various systems, I decided to try it myself.
- Install with Apt.
- Create the database user for Dovecot.
- Fiddle with the SQL configuration (don’t forget to uncomment the sql section in dovecot.conf).
- Fiddle with the directory settings (it still does not take individual mail directories from the database).
- Change my password in the database (very easy with dovecotpw).
- Reindex my mails with Thunderbird.